A football player is a person who plays football.


Passes defended is a measurable statistic that accounts for the number of balls deflected by a defender.

It is used to judge a defender’s performance and determine if a quarterback has made a poor decision on a pass. A defender can disrupt a pass in many different ways.

Defensive plays prevent 45%, 60%, and 100% of the yards an offense needs to score. These stats also count the amount of tackles, passes defended, forced fumbles, and interceptions made by defenders.

The NFL records for the most passes defended and deflected in a season. Passes defended do not count tipped passes at the line of scrimmage, but pass deflections by players covering the receiver.

Note that the word “coverage” is key. Linemen and edge defenders are not usually involved in this type of play. They can deflect a pass, intercept it, or even knock a nearly caught ball out of the receiver’s hands.

Developed by Football Outsiders, this statistical formula accounts for a variety of factors, including down, distance, opponent quality, and play location, to determine a team’s final yards. 

These stats take time to compile and are not an exact science. Passes defended in football stats are different than tackles and sacks, which are similar metrics, but measure different aspects of the defender’s play

In addition, the group has developed proprietary formulas for calculating advanced football stats.

The Defense-adjusted Value Over Average football stats measure the performance of a team or individual player over the course of a season. Football Outsiders is a team of football stats experts that started in August 2003.

Boston Globe

The site was founded in response to a claim made by Boston Globe reporter Ron Borges.


In 2017, the 49ers improved by eight spots in DVOA rankings, jumping from 14th place to eighth place. The weighted rankings, which remove early-season games, reflect the team’s overall performance. While the 49ers finished seventh overall in the NFL, their pass defense is still the team’s weakest attribute. The group grew, incorporating more writers, and hosting Gregg Easterbrook for a portion of the 2003 season. Eventually, it incorporated the entire 1983-2020 NFL seasons into its database.

The catch rate is the percentage of passes caught by a wide receiver. The NFL breaks down a player’s catch rate into the number of receptions based on the distance from the line of scrimmage to the point of reception. As a receiver moves down the field, his catch rate drops linearly. On average, air yards explain 98% of a player’s catch rate. Other factors make up the remaining 2%.

For this reason, he should be compared using his True Catch Rate, which is more useful when comparing different wide receivers.

However, it is important to note that a wide receiver’s Catch Rate does not indicate his effectiveness as a deep threat.

The catch rate in football stats is an important figure to track the performance of wide receivers. It can help to understand how well they perform in different routes, and it is useful for comparing different wide receivers.

Passes defended